Although in October temperatures begin to fall and the days become shorter and colder, October is still a busy month to complete many outstanding gardening tasks (planting bulbs, transplanting trees/shrubs, maintenance) ahead of the winter period. During this period the garden is also stunningly beautiful as the autumnal look is in full swing and the stunning variety of autumnal leaf colours is an absolute visual treat.
- Regularly remove fallen leaf from lawn areas
- Continue to trim lawns if grass continues to grow and keep lawn areas tidy
- Prune climbing roses, cut and tidy any herbaceous perennials which have died back
- As they lose leaf, give deciduous shrubs a light prune to help improve shape
- Repair any damaged lawn areas and seed new areas
- Apply Autumn (specially formulated for use at this time of year) feed to lawn areas
- If you’re planning on starting to grow fruit or vegetable in the Spring, now is a good time to do initial ground digging and allow the winter to break and improve the soil structure into a fine crumbly texture.