Talk to the Neighbours before Buying
You can tell a lot about your neighbours by just taking a good look around the area. Well maintained gardens and homes are a good sign that your neighbours take real pride in where they live. Overgrown gardens and unimpressive kerb appeal will give you a negative first impression of the neighbourhood. Pay attention to these details as you don’t want any surprises if you agree to buy. Meeting the neighbours will give a good idea of whether you will get on. You may not become the best of friends but you still need to be able to get along.
Meet the Neighbours
You may have found the perfect property at the right price in a great location, but what are the neighbours like? Call into a few of the neighbours to get a feel for the area and the people that live there. Your neighbours will know about the previous occupants of the property you are interested in and may be able to provide you with some insightful information. You may find that your neighbour will know about a leaking roof that you may not have spotted. Meeting your neighbours gives you a first impression of what they are like and a good feel for how you will get along and also how they get along with each other.
Here are some questions that you might consider asking your prospective neighbours:
- What do they like about living in the area?
- What do they dislike about living in the area?
- How long have they lived in the area?
- Do all the neighbours get along?
- Do they know anything about the previous owners of the property you are interested in buying?
- What is the crime level like in the area? Have they ever been burgled?
- Is the area quiet during the day/night?