Legislation introduced on February 1st 2009 launched the new minimum standards for rental accommodation.
Under this new legislation shared bathroom facilities will become a thing of the past with a requirement for all rental accommodation to have:
- A toilet with dedicated wash-basin next to WC, along with hot and cold water.
- A fixed bath or shower with hot and cold water
- A safe and effective drainage system and ventilation system. These must be in a separate room from other rooms separated by a wall and door.
- A fixed appliance heating system capable of providing effective heating and proper ventilation.
- A four-ring hob with oven and grill and adequate exctraction/ventilation.
- A fridge & freezer
- Sink and draining area
- Adequate number of presses for food storage
- A washing machine, either in the accommodation or access to a communal washing facility in the building. If there is no access to a garden or yard, there must also be a dryer.
- Proper, pest and vermin-proof refuse storage facilities. The use of communal receptacles, where appropriate, will be considered
- Maintenance of the building facade, garden, paths, driveways, hedges.