Packing everything in your home can seem like a daunting task. These simple suggestions should help to ease the pain.
Before you begin you should have the following tools and materials:Razor knife, scissors, note pad, boxes of all sizes, waterproof dark markers, packing tape, bubble wrap, newspapers and a first aid kit – just in case!
- Use proper packing materials. Make sure that you use the right size and strength boxes to carry your belongings. Use proper packing tape, bubble wrap and padding.
- Start with the attic – this is often forgotten until the last minute. You may find that there are a lot of unwanted items held in the attic and now is the ideal time to dispose of them.
- Next, look at your garden- pack and label all items that you want moved to your new home.
- The heavier the item, the smaller the box to be used. Do not throw everything you can fit into one big box – it will only make moving it much more difficult.
- You can purchase padded boxes with dividers to protect your very fragile items. Other items can be packed using free boxes from your local supermarket.
- Pack your belongings one room at a time. Clearly label each box with a description of its contents and the room to which it belongs.
- Clearly label FRAGILE on all boxes with breakable items.
- Empty all presses and drawers of breakable and spillable items
- Wrap items individually, always place a layer of crushed up newspaper or bubble wrap at the bottom of each box for cushioning
- Pack all boxes with heavier items on the bottom and lighter items on top.
- If you are using professional movers make them aware of the boxes you have packed. The movers will advise you on whether the boxes have been packed properly or whether they need to be re-packed in sturdier boxes.
- When loading up your moving truck aim to keep the boxes for each room together. This will make for much easier unpacking.
Find a Mover in the Services Directory of MyHome.ie