With the barbecue season well and truly under way, MyHome.ie provides some helpful safety tips.
Do not poison your guests or yourself for that matter. Make sure all food is properly cooked. It is a good idea to pre-cook meats and then just throw them on the bbq for a few minutes before serving. Cases of food poisoning generally increase during the summer months with warmer weather and higher incidents of bacterial infection. Be safe! To be sure that meat is fully cooked, check that it is piping hot all the way through.
- Always keep your bbq clean. Do not let grease build up as this is highly flammable and carries bacteria. Clean thoroughly after each use. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.
- If your barbeque has been outside, there could be a build up of insects etc. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Most barbeque sets will come with recommendations on usage and maintenance.
- With gas barbeques, always start the bbq with the lid open. Accumulation of gas could blow the lid off causing injury.
- When cooking on a bbq, it is best not to wear loose clothing, which could easily catch fire.
- Only use recommended fluids to start the bbq. Other flammable products might be good for starting fires but are not appropriate for bbq’s and cooking. You wouldn’t put petrol on your food so why cook with it. Take care not to spill any starter fluid.
- Make sure that the bbq area is clear of leaves, dry grass and any DIY products (which are often flammable). The bbq should be placed on a flat, clean space.
- If using a gas bbq, always switch off the power supply when not in use.
- Do not leave the bbq grill unattended and keep children and pets at a safe distance.
- Wear a fire resistant apron when cooking to avoid sparks burning your clothes or splash back from sizzling meats.
Finally, be safe and enjoy your barbeque!